On-the-Job Training (OJT) is a “hire-first” program in which the employer enters into an agreement with an American Job Center to hire, train and retain a job seeker upon successful completion of the training program. Through this program, the business may be reimbursed for up to 50% of the new employee’s wages and the extraordinary costs of the training.
How Does it Work?
OJT assists with the costs of training new employees. It also provides access to a workforce with the skills necessary to sustain and grown their businesses and a regional economy.
- Hands on training designed by the employer.
- A payment to offset training costs.
- An opportunity to train employees your way.
- An investment in your company.
How Does OJT Work?
OJT provides employers with a way to have new employees gain specific skills and employment competencies. This is accomplished through exposure in an actual work setting, to the processes, work tasks, tools and methods of a specific job or group of jobs.
- We match qualified applicants with approved job openings.
- We design a training plan that meets your needs; you may be able to use an existing proprietary training plan.
- You get reimbursed for the costs of training during the OJT period.
Qualifying OJT Applicants
- Applicants who are pre-qualified by our office and referred to you, OR
- Applicants you send to us for eligibility screening. We’ll notify you if they qualify.
OJT is for businesses that
- Operate year round.
- Enjoy low employee turnover.
- Pay an hourly wage or salary equal to or more than minimum wage
- Realize the benefits of investing in their employees.
- Employ any number of employees.
- Hands on training
- Payment to offset training costs
- Opportunity to train employees your way
- Investment in your company
For more information, contact:
Demar Harris Director of Programs Lake County Workforce Development
Job Center of Lake County 1 N. Genesee St. Waukegan, IL 60085