The Sheriff’s Office maintains peace and order and protects life and property for Lake County residents, businesses, and visitors by enforcing applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances throughout unincorporated Lake County and in contracted communities. The Sheriff’s Office also manages the County’s jail and other detention facilities, and provides security services to the County’s court system.
Transparency in Budgeting
In Fiscal Year 2018, the Lake County Board approved a budget of $68,770,083 for the Lake County Sheriff’s Office with staffing of 482 full-time and 55 part-time employees. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office complies with the Lake County Government’s budgeting policies and purchasing ordinance, and is fiscally responsible, striving to provide public safety services at a cost at or below budget. Below is a graph reflecting the % Under Budget for 2007 – 2017.
Transparency in Policing
- Corrections Officers are equipped with body-worn cameras.
- Deputies are equipped with body-worn cameras.
- The Lake County Sheriff’s Office appeared on LIVE PD in 2017.
- The Lake County Sheriff’s Office is now on Lifetime’s ‘Women on Patrol’ airing on Monday evenings.
- Press releases online
- Press releases, public safety alerts, community activities and events posted on the Lake County Sheriff’s Office Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms.
- Monthly E-Newsletters provide subscribers with press releases, public safety alerts, and upcoming community activities.
- Behind the Badge episodes providing the public a portal to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office are available on our website’s Video Library and broadcast on LCTV Public Access.
- Citizen Police Academies held annually.
- Numerous town hall meetings focusing on drugs, public safety, school safety as well as transparency through body-worn cameras and CIT training held over the past 12 years.