Sudden power outages can be frustrating and troublesome,
especially when they last a long time. If a power outage
is two hours or less, you need not be concerned about
losing your perishable foods.
For prolonged power
outages, though, there are steps you can take to
minimize food loss and to keep all members of your
household as comfortable as possible. The Lake County
Health Department/Community Health Center provides
Water Safety Information.
Energy Conservation Recommendations
- Turn off lights and computers when not in use.
- Wash clothes in cold water if possible and wash
only full loads and clean the dryer's lint trap
after each use.
- When using a dishwasher, wash full loads and use
the light cycle.
- If possible, use the rinse only cycle and turn
off the high temperature rinse option. When the
regular wash cycle is done, just open the dishwasher
door to allow the dishes to air dry.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with energy
efficient compact fluorescent lights.