|If you are advised by local
officials to "shelter in place," what they mean is for
you to remain inside your home or office and protect
- Close and lock all windows and exterior doors.
- Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning
systems. Close the fireplace damper.
- Get your disaster supplies kit, and make sure
the radio is working.
- Go to an interior room without windows that's
above ground level.
- Using duct tape, seal all cracks around the door
and any vents into the room.
- Keep listening to your radio or television until
you are told all is safe or you are told to
- Local officials may call for evacuation in
specific areas at greatest risk in your community.